Tuesday 5 July 2011

Inspiration station

Im sure a lot of you know by now that I am one of those designers that takes inspiration from all over the place.  My personality is such that i'm constantly changing my personal style, my hair, the decoration in my flat ect ect.  However the strong tattoo and fifties pin up influence has always been evident in my tops.  I love old skool styles and anything vintage or antique.

A few months ago I had a meeting scheduled late on a Friday with a buyer in Camden.  It was one of those part business part social type meetings.  I had mentioned that whilst I love drinking in the Hawley and The Lock Tavern I was so bored of going to the same old places all the time, so we decided on a place I had never been to before.

The Black Heart, Camden

Hidden away down an alley behind HSBC, next to Camden Town Tube Station is a little boozer called the Black Heart.  Although it has no sign, no massive generic pub hanging in the standard sans-serif font.  All it has is a massive Black Heart hanging on a one side.  How cool, I thought, and I liked the place before I was even inside.  To be honest they had achieved what I think good branding is all about.  They could of charged me a tenner for a lager when I got to the bar and i'd of happilly paid it because they had created a great atmosphere in the place with the deco and style.

The meeting was about me creating an exclusive range for the buyer, she wanted my strong fifties pin-up influence, but after a bit we got chatting about the props and decoration in the bar.  Wierdly I had never thought of the whole Mexicana, Day of the dead, Catholic artwork thing before but I was finding it all pretty inspiring.


We came to the conclusion that this little collection should keep the Rock Boutiques handwriting and was going to feature the pin ups as intended, but with a bit of a nod towards Mexicana.

As usuall, when I discover a new style or a new way of looking at things they generally not only slip into my designs but take over the rest of my life too.  Sure enough the next day I was on ebay searching for candy skulls and gothic crosses and by the end of the week I had a gothic arch built in my office.

I also purchased some great pictures from an antique dealer friend of mine.  I started flicking through tattoo flash and art books to find some really detailed virgin mary images that I love!!


My flat now has religous statues on the floor and big black iron crosses on the wall and I am still soaking up everything I can in this style.


The collection is being made into samples over the next few weeks, so if (fingers crossed) everything is approved it should be available to buy for next AW!


Pin ups and Gypsys, gothic scrolls and roses

Sugar skulls the Rock Boutique way!
Feeling lucky!?!


Hope you like em, talk to you all soon

Jack

1 comment:

  1. Virgin Mary tees will be awesome I love religious icons. I went to Jerusalem a few years ago and I wanna go back just to buy stuff for when I get my own place!

    ReplyDelete